Job Type: Full time, 12 month contract
The Position: 3D FX Artist
Rate: $48K (incl. Super and leave)
We’re looking for that special someone who is interested in getting in on the ground floor and growing with a small company with an eye to the future. Bungarra is an independent developer/ publisher based in Fremantle, Western Australia. Bungarra develops high-quality, high-impact, multi-platform sports games.
The FX artist is able to translate real-world physical properties into a digital simulation with ease. Are you a Houdini, Maya or Max FX expert that can model out a dry game designer’s schematic into an ocean environment full of mood and personality? It’s both a left and right brain affair, you’ll get to work with cutting edge software and have tremendous artistic input into the final product. All in all it’s a lot of aesthetic responsibility, but if you’re the kind of person that glories in making beautiful things, then this is the job for you.
- Ability to create foam and water textures and FX for 3D waves, ocean water and objects to a HIGH level of realism. This job is all about FX, texturing and lighting
- Attention to detail – FX, modelling, colour and shape is vital. You are creating realistic ocean waves which is challenging
- Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently with the 3D wave animator as well as the graphics programmer
- Build a suitable texture set of foam, lighting, whitewater, lip spray, foam ball, character shadow, Bottom map pass, Diffuse pass, Incandescence pass, Translucence pass, Colour correction pass, Specular pass, Cast shadow pass for waves and water
- A good working knowledge of Houdini, 3DS Max, Maya, Photoshop etc
- Quickly master in-house tools – as well as 3rd party packages such as Phyre Engine
- Traditional skills a MUST
- Technical skills a MUST
- Ability to adapt art style to match that of game being produced. Ability to work to a brief.
- Understanding of lighting concepts, and the ability to effectively light environments. This is a MUST
- Good use of line and light
- Understanding of 3D lighting solutions including ray-tracing, radiosity, HDRL, vertex lighting, and light-maps
- Breadth of artistic styles
- Understanding of colour theory
- An interest in Photography
- Excellent environmental concept art skills.
- Excellent eye for colour.
- Core fundamentals, as well as light, form, shadow, colour
- Importance of dates/milestones, teamwork and organization. Understanding of when to sacrifice time or quality for one another
- Good knowledge of Art History
- 2 Years Minimum experience as an FX Artist in Video games or related Industry OR,
- Minimum of 3-year University level degree.
- You must have a Demo reel that shows FX and texture work and, be prepared to demonstrate skill-set via a working to a brief set by Bungarra at the studio
- Referees must be provided
Demonstrable Character Traits:
- Must have a passion for games and interactive entertainment. You’ve also got to know something about sports games. Interest in surfing is an advantage
- You need to have an excellent work ethic. This needs to be demonstrable. We are a media, deadline driven business. Punctuality and stamina on the job is everything.
- Absolute determination to see a job through.
- Ability to rapidly learn & assimilate new technologies
- Ability to work collaboratively with artists and programmers
- Dedication to high quality environment art.
- Remains focused, motivated and effective on all tasks through completion.
- Demonstrates a desire to learn and grow professionally
- Desire to ship quality products on time
- Excellent communication skills in a team environment
- EXCELLENT ATTENTION TO DETAIL. This is especially important, as re-work will be required. Near enough isn’t good enough
- Ability to accurately estimate delivery, AND, deliver.
PREFERRED ADDITIONAL SKILLS
- Graphic design / layout skills a plus.
- Character animation, general animation skills
- Efficacy with Adobe AE
- Ability to effectively teach others.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants must be able to work at our Fremantle studios and must already be a resident of Perth Western Australia. We are employing Perth based people only or ex-residents willing to move home at this point.
- Email only. No visits or phone calls, please.
- Applications by COB Friday May 10th, 2019
- The Subject line of your email must reference the job title and your name, like this: CG Artist: Last name, First name
- Include your resume as an email attachment, preferably as a PDF or in Word 2003 or later format. Include links to online portfolio if applicable.
- Make sure your resume also includes your name, address, phone, and email.
- Send email to: email@example.com
*Principle applications only. No recruitment firms please*